Bluetooth, the wireless technology used in computers, smart phones, and other devices is named for Herald Bluetooth, the tenth-century king of Denmark and parts of Norway.
Why? Because Bluetooth was a famous unifier, bringing the Danes under a single kingship.
This figure of unification was an inspiration to Jim Kardach, who happened to be reading Frans Gunnar Bengtsson’s historical novel The Long Ships about the Vikings and King Herald Bluetooth when he was also busy inventing a system to unite mobile phone communication protocols. Hence, Bluetooth became the name for the unifier of wireless protocols as well as warring Danish tribes.
Rather than being a stylized B, the Bluetooth logo is also drawn from King Herald. The logo is a modern form of a Viking “bind rune,” a combination or “ligature” of two or more runes, the letters used by Vikings. By combining the Hagall and Bjarkan runes from the Younger Futhark runic alphabet, we arrive at bind rune that combines King Herald’s initials and conveniently looks like an English letter B.
The logos angular style is a consequence of the how runes were used by the Vikings and other early Germanic peoples. Rather than putting pen to paper, Viking writing was primarily preserved on wood, stone, or on ceremonial objects such as weapons or jewelry. This explains why many runic alphabets have few round features, as carving such shapes into these hard surfaces would have been exceedingly difficult. Similarly, most runic alphabets have no horizontal strokes, as when carving along an axe handle or staff horizontal strokes would be along the wood grain, making them illegible or even splitting the wood.
And that’s why a King who conquered the Danes 1000 years ago has his name emblazoned, in a form he may have recognized, on the screens of iPhones, iPads, Macs, and other devices around the world.
46 Notes/ Hide
- red-szajn likes this
- wistywoo reblogged this from bluepeopleshallunite
- bleedingbruisedandbroken reblogged this from klaufiwodensson
- victorshade likes this
- perfect-nebula likes this
- klaufiwodensson reblogged this from obstakel
- obstakel reblogged this from cordblomquist
- abouteleventhings likes this
- artificialities likes this
- sgtbarnes reblogged this from historymaker
- wistywoo likes this
- bluepeopleshallunite reblogged this from historymaker
- ricekripkes likes this
- walahraban reblogged this from historymaker
- sexii-siete reblogged this from historymaker
- ferriswheelsandthrowingknives reblogged this from azryal00
- the-goat-in-the-boat reblogged this from azryal00
- kyoiskami reblogged this from cordblomquist
- ladybran likes this
- unboundsheep likes this
- samyazaz reblogged this from cordblomquist
- ancientsun likes this
- littlevikiing likes this
- writing-in-a-daydream reblogged this from cordblomquist
- ranger-vieve reblogged this from azryal00
- ranger-vieve likes this
- akbzas likes this
- pkmndaisuki likes this
- justasecondoutofsync likes this
- phoenixtorn likes this
- dimensionalcreepcumber reblogged this from slightlypsychicparade
- lemmanzest reblogged this from azryal00
- slightlypsychicparade reblogged this from azryal00
- slightlypsychicparade likes this
- phoenixtorn reblogged this from azryal00
- seawitchin likes this
- quarksandcoyotes reblogged this from azryal00
- quarksandcoyotes likes this
- azryal00 reblogged this from cordblomquist
- cturnblrish reblogged this from cordblomquist
- cturnblrish likes this
- cordblomquist posted this